The goal of the BioCanRx Indigenous Summer Studentship Program is to provide Indigenous students with meaningful hands-on research experience in the area of cancer through work placements with research groups at post-secondary institutions across Canada. Although BioCanRx’s mandate focuses on cancer immunotherapy and biotherapeutics, the BioCanRx Indigenous Summer Studentship is open to any cancer related research including cancer research that integrates Indigenous traditional knowledge. An additional intent of this program is to promote and strengthen Indigenous students’ participation in cancer research and careers by providing networking, mentorship, and research experience opportunities.
Deadline to apply: February 26, 2021
- The BioCanRx Summer Studentship Award provides $6,000 CAD in salary support for an undergraduate or college student to work on a cancer-related research project over a 14-week work term. Projects can include:
- Clinical, social or economic impact research. This type of project aims to study and find potential solutions to social, legal, ethical, economic or health-systems barriers relating to cancer and patient care.
- Indigenous Knowledge. This type of project incorporates Indigenous knowledge to study cancer, or to develop strategies to improve cancer care of Indigenous people.
- Knowledge Translation. This type of project includes the development, implementation and/or measurement of materials, processes or applications used to improve cancer-related knowledge to Indigenous individuals or to a broader population.
- Laboratory-based research. This type of project encompasses cancer research taking place in a laboratory setting.
- You can find more information about BioCanRx’s funded Research Program on our website. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of what projects are eligible. If you have questions about the fit of a project, supervisory eligibility or anything else, please do not hesitate to contact Megan Mahoney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IMPORTANT NOTE TO STUDENTS: At the time of the application, students must have found a supervisor with whom they wish to work and have made arrangements with the proposed supervisor to co-apply to this award. If you are interested in the Summer Studentship program, but have questions, please do not hesitate contacting Megan Mahoney (email@example.com) or other listed Advisors above. Please note, we cannot guarantee any placement with a supervisor.
- Please note that Indigenous students will also automatically be considered for the Summer Student program (inclusive of non-Indigenous students), and do not need to apply twice.